The history of the third oldest Lodge in Lancaster began with its Consecration as the Duke of Lancaster Lodge No. 1353, in the Masonic Lodge Room, Athenaeum on the 12th July, 1871.
The Lodge was consecrated by W.Bro. Thos. Wylie, Pr.G.Reg. a member of Lodges No. 56 and 292; The Rev. H.G. Vernon, M.A., Pr.G.Chaplain; James Hamer, Pr.G.Treasurer; G. H. Hobson, Lodge No. 477 and P.Pr.G.Chaplain of Cheshire; Joseph Sheaf, Pr.G.Org; Thos. Armstrong, P.Pr.G.D; Wm. Laidlow, P.G.S.W; J.D. Moore, M.D., G.St.B.Eng; together with numerous officers and Brethren of the Lodge of Fortitude No. 281, the Mother Lodge of the Duke of Lancaster.
Bro. Christopher Hartley was the first Master
Bro. John Barrow was Senior Warden
Bro. John Bell was Junior Warden
Bro. William Heald was Secretary
An Emergency Meeting was held on 31st March. 1885 when it was proposed and seconded that on and after 18th April 1885 the Lodge be removed from the Athenaeum, St. Leonardgate, to the new Masonic Hall, Church Street and that the first Bye-law be altered accordingly. This was approved and signed D.G.M., R.W.P.G.M. and by W. Goodacre, Pr.G. Secretary on 10th April, 1885.
The first meeting of the Duke of Lancaster Lodge to be held in the new Masonic Hall, was on the 15th April, 1885, progressing through the years to the present day.
The Lodge meets on the 3rd Wednesday of each month, July & August excepted, at 7.00pm., the Installation taking place during the month of January at 4.00pm.
We usually hold a very successful Old English night in October and following the December, business meeting, the ladies are invited to join us at the Festive Board which culminates in a relaxed sing-a-long of Christmas Carols.
Non-masons are also made welcome at our Ladies Evening usually held in April and at other social events which take place during each Worshipful Master’s year.
We are a friendly Lodge of some fifty (April 2006) members and welcome any brother as a visitor to share our comradeship.