MCF grant to St John’s Hospice

The Lancaster and District Group Chairman Neil McGill and the group charity steward Simon Hanson visited St John’s Hospice in Lancaster to deliver a cheque for the sum of £1,665 which had been awarded via the Masonic Charitable Foundation (MCF).

In May this year, hospices who receive less than 60 per cent of their funding from the NHS were invited to apply for a grant. The grant is part of the ongoing support Freemasons give to hospices nationally and this year £300,000 has been awarded in core funding grants. In total, through the Masonic charities, the Masonic community has awarded over £13,400,000 in grants to hospice care since 1984.

Lorraine Wheeler, Grants and Trusts officer at the hospice said “The contribution of £1,655 from the MCF will go towards supporting our core hospice activities, being a 12-bed in-patient unit, the Oak Centre day services, the hospice at home team and our new Clinical Nurse specialist service. St John’s Hospice helps over 1500 individuals each year who have life limiting illnesses and also provides support for family members and carers. We serve a wide geographic area, from Garstang to Grasmere and from Pilling to Settle”

The care St John’s Hospice provide is free of charge to patients and their families, but it is not cost free. They receive 30 per cent of their core funding from the NHS but for the remaining 70 per cent they rely on fundraising efforts such as that provided by Freemasons. What an amazing job they do, they deserve all the money we can raise and it makes you proud to be a Freemason.

Pictured from left to right, are: Simon Hanson, Lorraine Wheeler and Neil McGill.

Pictured from left to right, are: Simon Hanson, Lorraine Wheeler and Neil McGill.

Article and photograph by Paul Thompson.

Back to Top